Got your Burning Man tickets yet? The annual art show-counterculture celebration-Utopian playground held out in the Nevada desert, is only a month away.
The event, which runs from August 25 to September 1, is a notoriously anti-commercialist affair. Only water and coffee are sold on the premises; everything else must be brought to — and later removed from — individually set-up camps. Goods are exchanged on a “gifting” system.
Getting to Burning Man and staying satiated, however, can get costly. So in the spirit of pooling resources to create shared experiences, why not pay one’s way to Black Rock City with groupfunding?
Here’s how a few Tilters are using Crowdtilt to make their Burning Man experience even more awesome.
- Build A Mutant Vehicle – Justin.tv and Exec founder Justin Kan set up a Crowdtilt to help pay for Titanic’s End, a.k.a. the world’s first mobile iceberg mutant vehicle.
- Pay for Booze - Crunklantis Sea Monkey campaign organizer Travis Moore is raising funds to pay for his theme camp’s ice, meals, alcoholic beverages, and more. Extra funds will go toward a DJ booth and art gallery.
- Split Transportation Costs – With his AC Invades Burning Man campaign, Jared Heyman is asking pals to split the cost of a Cruise America RV.
- Put A Roof Over Your Head - Camp Beaverton, the only all-women, trans-inclusive, sex positive camp at Burning Man, are raising funds to purchase a 36-foot geodesic dome.
- Build a Giant Blender – The Gender Blender collective is crowdfunding to pay for a giant blender called Engender A Blender, a “10 foot life size blender that you can actually walk into and blend your gender.” The idea behind the uber-appliance is that it will be a nexus of collaborative work, where the art is your gender at the moment.
Want to start a Burning Man campaign?Start Here